Rev Kev | Cornerstone Baptist Church | Sunday PM, May 8th, 2011
Will this world ever know true peace? The Bible says, "Yes!" Two Old Testament prophets describe a future of peace unlike any in man's history (Isaiah 2:1-4; Micah 4:1-5), and Revelation 20 declares that Satan will be bound and unable to deceive the nations when Jesus Christ comes to reign in righteousness.
What about peace now? When individuals trust Jesus as their Savior, they are reconciled to God and are commissioned to be peacemakers in their own world of relationships. God's peace in believers' hearts is to be a present reality, and the Lord's return to earth is the world's only hope for lasting peace.
John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” [16:33] “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” [20:19] “Peace be unto you… 21 Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.” 26 “…then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.”
The word “Peace” occurs 429 times in the Bible.
What Is Peace? During the Spanish Inquisition, a Baptist pastor (declared by the Catholic church to be a heretic) was to be burned at the stake. The sheriff expressed his sorrow that the pastor would not renounce his faith.
The pastor answered, “Come and lay your hand on my heart, and see if it does not beat quietly.” The Sheriff complied and the pastor was found to be calm. “Now” said the pastor, “lay your hand on your own heart, and see if you are not more troubled than I. Then go your way, and instead of pitying me, pity yourself.”
1. PEACE DEFINED.
· The Hebrew word for peace is “shalom.” From a word meaning “safe.” Implies being well, happy, on friendly terms.
· The primary Greek word for peace is “eirene.” From a word meaning to join, to bring together what was separated by strife or conflict.
· Webster’s: Peace is a state of tranquility or quiet; freedom from civil disturbance; a state of security; freedom from oppressive thoughts or emotions; harmony in personal relations.
2. PEACE REFINED. How is peace seen in Scripture?
· As a public existence (living in safety). Ps 4:8 “I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety.” | Prov 16:7 “When a man's ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.”
· As a state of mind (free of fear). Isa 26:3 “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee.”
· As a personal relationship with God. Rom 5:1 “There-fore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:”
· Peace, then, is to be experienced in three realms.
- Peace with others (Free to live)
- Peace with myself (Free from Fear)
- Peace with God (Free to love)
3. PEACE THAT IS MINE. What level do you experience?
· Am I Able To Rest Well? Ps 4:8 “I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, makest me dwell in safety.”
· Am I Able To Resist Temptation? Ps 199:165 “Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.” [The word “offend” refers to a stumbling-block]
· Am I Emotionally Stable? Or am I controlled by fear and anxiety; crushed or driven by panic? Ps 29:11 “The LORD will give strength unto His people; the LORD will bless His people with peace.” | Isa 26:3-4 “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee:” | Jn 14:27 “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” [16:33] “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”|Php 4:7 “The peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
· Am I Close to God? Do I have a personal awareness of His presence? 2 Cor 13:11 “Be of good comfort, be on one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.”
4. PEACE INCLINED. How can I experience peace?
Understand Our Obligation to Peace.
· It’s God’s will that I experience Peace. Rom 14:19 “Let us..follow after the things which make for peace.” |1 Cor 7:15 “For God has called us to peace.” |2 Cor 13:11 “Live in peace.”|Col 3:15 “Let the peace of God rule your heart.”
· It’s God’s will that I be a messenger of Peace. Isa 52:7 “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that brings good tidings, that publishes peace; that brings good tidings of good, that publishes salvation”|Eph 6:15 we are to have “feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace.”
Recognize Our Source of Peace…
· With others is PLEASING GOD! Prov 16:7 “When a man’s ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.” (Joseph in Egypt, Daniel in Babylon)
· With self is knowing the GRACE OF GOD! Rom 15:13 “Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace.”|2 Thess 3:16 “Now the Lord of peace Himself give you peace.”
· With God is FAITH IN CHRIST! Col 1:19-21 “For it pleased the Father that in him (Jesus) should all fulness dwell; 20 And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. 21 And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled.”|Rom 5:1 “Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through Jesus Christ.”
CONCLUSION: God does not command us to seek happiness but He does command us to “seek peace.”
1 Pet 3:10-11 “H-e that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile: Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.”
