A Ministry of Cornerstone Baptist Church - 49 Golf Club Road - McMinnville TN 37110 - Phone: 931-668-9495

Sunday, September 11, 2011

THERE IS HOPE!


Psalm 56:1-4

“Be merciful unto me, O God: for man would swallow me up; he fighting daily oppresseth me. 2 Mine enemies would daily swallow me up: for they be many that fight against me, O thou most High. 3 What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee. 4 In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.”

Some events in human history impact us so greatly, that we will remember forever the circumstance surrounding where we were when we heard the news.

I’ll never forget (Nov 22, 1963) sitting in sitting in my living room in Pottsboro, Texas and hearing the reports of Kennedy’s assassination as my mother wept.

I’ll never forget (Jan 28, 1986) standing in the office complex of Eastland Baptist Church and watching the news as Christa McAuliffe began her journey to be the first teacher in space, only to have it end so tragically.

I’ll never forget as I watched the smoke billowing up from the North Tower of the World Trade Center and seeing the second plane crash into the South Tower.

These images are forever embedded in my memory. You probably remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when you first heard the news.

On Tuesday, Sept 11, 2001, our nation was horrified and shocked by the most unexpected and awful sight our eyes have ever seen. On that day I witnessed the murder of more than 2,800 people; I saw thousands injured and millions terrorized by the fanatical acts of Islamic terrorist.

Since that time we have been asked many questions and have asked many questions as we viewed the scenes on television and in the newspapers…
Why did this happen? What should we do? Where should we turn?

Great men of the Bible have cried out in the darkness for answers to questions that seemingly where unanswerable. They found that God was close by and ready to render aid.

The Bible has the answers for our urgent cries.

I want to address a number of questions that people have asked in the wake of great trials and tragedy. Whether we are talking of a terrorist attack, a natural disaster, or the death of a loved one – God is close by with comfort and compassion.

1. Where was God? He was in the stairwell, the plane, the ER, etc…

Psalm 139:8-10 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.”

2. What should I do with my frustration and fear? Give it to Jesus!

1 Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.”

Psalm 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.”

3. Has God abandoned us? No – Even if we have abandoned Him!

Jeremiah 29:11-13 “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.”

4. Is God really in control? Control implies existence of a struggle.

Psalm 66:7 He ruleth by his power for ever; his eyes behold the nations: let not the rebellious exalt themselves. Selah.” [103:19] The LORD hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all.”

5. Why did God allow this to happen? Why did we?

Isaiah 55:8-9 My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.”


Psalm 34:19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all.”

Psalm 18:30 As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.”

Psalm 119:71 It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes.”

6. How should I respond to what has happened? Trust & Obey!

Job 1:20-22 Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped, And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.”

7. Can something good come from this tragedy? Yes!

Romans 8:28 All things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.”