John 10:1-9 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. 2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. 4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. 5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.
6 This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.
7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
In recent weeks we have examined Christ’ revelation – “I AM The Bread of Life” & “I AM The Light of the World.” Today, we explore His claim – “I AM The Door.”
Old Testament scholar George Adam Smith once visited the Holy Land and came upon a shepherd and his sheep standing before a stockade. There was no gate to the enclosure, only an opening the width of a man’s body.
Smith asked the shepherd why there was no gate, and he explained: “I am the way in. I stand in the opening, and the sheep pass through me into the stockade. When they are all safely inside, I lie down across the opening. No thief can enter and no sheep can get out except over my body. I am the door.” This was the traditional care for sheep in Jesus’ day as well.
We are like sheep who need a Shepherd (1 Peter 2:25). For entrance into heaven, Jesus said plainly – “I am the door. . . . If any man enter in, he shall be saved” (John 10:7-9). The people listening that day didn’t think of a wooden gate swinging on hinges. They understood what He was saying, “I am the entrance into the eternal presence of God.”
1. JESUS IS THE DOOR OF DELIVERANCE (v 7-9). As we examine Christ’ words we see…
· The Person of Salvation – I am the door.
John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
· The Path of Salvation – by Me.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
· The Potential of Salvation – if any man.
Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
· The Provision of Salvation – enter in.
Revelation 22:17 The Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
· The Promise of Salvation – He shall be saved.
John 10:28-29 I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
· The Purpose of Salvation – and shall go in and out.
Hebrews 4:14-16 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
· The Pleasure of Salvation – and find pasture.
Psalm 23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
2. JESUS CHRIST IS THE DOOR OF DIVINE ACCESS. The imagery of Christ being the door goes beyond the door of the sheepfold. As Jesus used this familiar cultural illustration He stood in the temple where the entrance to the presence of God was forbidden by the door to the Holy of Holies through which only certain priest were allowed to go.
This Temple was patterned after God’s instruction to Moses’ for the building of the Wilderness Tabernacle recorded in Exodus 26…
· The Door of the Tabernacle (v 31-37). This Door is a beautiful portrait of Christ.
It describes the entrance through which the priest’ gained access to the Tabernacle. This door spanned the entire east side and was fifteen feet high.
· Some observations…
The East speaks of the ending of night & the dawning of a new day.
The Width & Height of the entrance speaks of God’s Love.
The Colors speak of His Royalty; Riches; Redemption.
The Linen speaks His Priesthood & Purity.
John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
CONCLUSION: Matthew 27 46And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?...50Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. 51And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;…54…when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God.