A Ministry of Cornerstone Baptist Church - 49 Golf Club Road - McMinnville TN 37110 - Phone: 931-668-9495

Sunday, April 15, 2012

The King is Calling!


Revelation 3:20 “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.”

Today a person has to be cautious when answering their door. We are continually warned by Law enforcement agencies to be on the alert. We have installed deadbolts, peepholes, intercoms, burglar alarms, and video surveillance. When we have a visitor come to our door it is important that we know who they are and their purpose for coming.

In our text, there is someone knocking at a door – the door of our heart.
·         This person desires to be a blessing.
·         He has come to be our Saviour.
·         He is the Lord Jesus Christ.
·         What a wonderful visitor to have knocking at your hearts door!

1.       THE MAJESTY OF HIS PRESENCE: Revelation 1:10-18 “I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, 11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea. 12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks; 13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. 14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; 15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. 16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength. 17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: 18  I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.”

·         He’s more than a visiting dignitary, prince or pontiff – He is the Lord of glory! (Creator, Sustainer, Saviour, Judge)

·         I’ve often wondered why it is that men so often turn him away?

2.       THE MISSION OF HIS CALL: “Behold, I stand at the door and knock.” Why is He knocking?

·         He’s on the same mission He was during the days of His earthly ministry: Luke 19:10 “The Son of man is come to seek and to save that which is lost.”

·         Praise God He’s a seeking Saviour!
“Behold, I stand and knock” reveals Christ Persistence.
“Behold, I stand and knock” reveals Christ Patience.

·         There is a limit to His patience and persistence! “If any man will open the door.” (so much for irresistible grace)

·         We are free moral agents! He created us this way.
-   He does not force Himself upon anyone.
-   He will not force an entrance into your heart.
-   He will do all in His power to gain our attention, to touch our heart.
-   He will go no further - you must invite Him in.
-   The prodigal’s father waited, watched & wept till his son came home.

3.       THE MOTIVATION OF HIS APPEAL: “If any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him,…”

·         His appeal is loving. 1 John 4:10 “Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.”

·         His appeal is personal. “If any man” [singular]

·         His appeal is universal. “If any man”

4.       THE MIRACLE OF HIS ENTRANCE: “I will come in to him, and sup with him,..”

·         Let me remind you of what Jesus said to His disciples. John 14:21-23 “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world? Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.”

·         Let me remind you of what Paul said. Galatians 2:20 “I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.”

5.       THE MEASURE OF YOUR RESPONSE! You should Invite Jesus in because of...

·         His effect on your marriage. John 2:1-2 “And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there: And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage.”

·         His effect on your home. Duet 6:4 “The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.”

·         His effect on your occupation. Colossians 3:17 “And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. [23] And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;”
Ephesians 6:5-6 “Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ; Not with eye service, as men pleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart;”

·         His effect on your Friendships. Jesus is the best friend you’ll ever have! John 15:13-15 “Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. 14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. 15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.”

·         His effect on your Church. Revelation 3:14-20 “Unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; 15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. 16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. 17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: 18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.”

·         His effect on your Heart. Luke 12:34 “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”

John 14:1 “Let not your heart be troubled…”

Eph 3:17-19 “That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith;…”

1 Peter 3:15 “Sanctify the Lord God in your heart,…”

Romans 10:9-10 “If thou shalt confess…”