A Ministry of Cornerstone Baptist Church - 49 Golf Club Road - McMinnville TN 37110 - Phone: 931-668-9495

Sunday, October 7, 2012

RESTING IN CHRIST


TEXT: Hebrew 4:1-13  

Chap 1-2 = Our Savior | 3 = Our Skepticism | 4 = Our Serenity.

The word “Rest” is found 11 times in chapters 3-4. This passage is fitting because we live in such a Restless, Impatient and Anxious time. The peace and rest this world offers is a poor substitute for what God offers us.

God’s peace revealed. John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

God wants you to have… A calm and confident heart. Our text speaks of 5 Rest – 1. Creation; 2. Canaan; 3. Calvary; 4. Coming; 5. Current.

1.   CREATION REST (v 4). God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

It was an awesome time in the history of the world! Genesis 2:2 On the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

The beginning of faith is faith in “the beginning.”

NOTE: Seven times in Genesis 1 God says that Every Thing Was GOOD!

This rest was lost in the fall (Genesis 3:17).

God will one day restore this rest. Romans 8:18-28 

2.   CANAAN REST (v 6).  Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

This passage is connected to the previous chapter (Hebrews 3:7-11).

This rest was forfeited.

New Testament example: 1 Timothy 1:18-19 This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy,… that thou by them mightest war a good warfare; Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:

3.   CALVARY REST (v 10).  For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

God desires that we have rest!

John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Matthew 11:28-29 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

4.   COMING REST (v 9). There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

This verse says there is a rest awaiting us.

2 Thessalonians 1:7 To you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels.

Revelation 14:13 Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord…that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

What one word is associated with the loss of all rest? Unbelief!

5.   CURRENT REST (v 1, 11). Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it….Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

What is God asking us to do? The case begins in v 1Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

How do we enter God’s rest?

Follow the right formula (v 2-3).  For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it. 3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Hearing + Believing = Resting

Respond at the right time (v 7-8). Choose now! Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. 8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

CONCLUSION: John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

The Lord wants you to have – A calm heart. 

The Lord wants you to have – A confident heart.