A Ministry of Cornerstone Baptist Church - 49 Golf Club Road - McMinnville TN 37110 - Phone: 931-668-9495

Sunday, July 7, 2013

RETURNING TO GOD | Psalm 43



Psalm 43:1-5 Judge me, O God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation: O deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man. 2 For thou art the God of my strength: why dost thou cast me off? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? 3 O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles. 4 Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God. 5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.

This psalm provokes some very deep contemplation. David is the leader of a nation that he now calls ungodly.

Israel had experienced a fatal lapse of memory.
·         Like Israel, we have forgotten God and replaced him with secular humanism, materialism and pride.
·         Courts that once decided against immorality have begun to allow men “to do that which right in his own eyes” – promoting rights without responsibility.
·         Our eyes have become accustomed to the dark.

Psalm 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.

Proverbs 14:34 Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.

In preparing for this message (July 7), the thought crossed my mind
·        It’s not the church's purpose to create a theocracy in America, but rather to build a spiritual Kingdom.
·        God knows a theocracy will not work in a world led by sinful men.
·        God must rule the heart before He can direct a nation.
·        God's kingdom today, is a kingdom of regenerated hearts.
·        Our work is to worship the Lord, live for Christ and win souls.

That's not to say we are not to be involved in politics.
·        As citizens we have the responsibility to hold Gov. accountable.
·        As Christians we have a responsibility to stand for what is right.

What can we do to turn America back to God?

1.      REQUEST GOD’S DELIVERENCE (v 1). Deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man.

·        Deceitful = to mislead, deceive or ensnare.
·        Unjust = [`evel] iniquity, perverse, unrighteous; wicked.

There is a very popular saying that is foolish and false “You can’t legislate morality.”

Moral = Relating to the practice, manners or conduct of men as social beings in relation to each other, and with reference to right and wrong. 

The word Moral is applicable to actions that are good or evil, virtuous or vicious, and has reference to the law of God as the standard by which their character is to be determined (Web 1828)

2.      RETURN TO RELIANCE Upon God (v 2).  For thou art the God of my strength:… Why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Isaiah 41:10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.

3.      RECOGNIZE THE REASON For God’s Judgment (v 2). Why dost thou cast me off?

We may “feel” God has forsaken us, but He has not.  Cast me of [Heb. zaw-nakh'] a primitive root meaning to push aside, reject, forsake, cast away; to remove far away.

George Mason was an American Revolutionary statesman and delegate from Virginia to the Constitutional Convention. In an address to the Continental Congress on Aug 22, 1787, he stated…

“As nations cannot be rewarded or punished in the next world, they must be in this. By an inevitable chain of causes and effects, Providence punishes national sins, by national calamities,”

4.      REALIZE THE REMEDY (v 3).  O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles.

The answer for America’s problem is…
·         The Word of God. Send out thy light and truth:…
·         Calvary. Bring me unto thy holy hill.
·         The Church. Bring me unto thy tabernacles.

5.      RESOLVE TO RETURN Until God’s Blessing Returns… (v 4). Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God.

6.      REFUSE TO RETREAT. Why art thou cast down, O my soul? Why art thou disquieted within me? Hope in God: for I shall yet praise him, [He] is the health of my countenance, and my God.

 



Prepared by Kevin Burden | Cornerstone Baptist, McMinnville TN | July 7, 2013