A Ministry of Cornerstone Baptist Church - 49 Golf Club Road - McMinnville TN 37110 - Phone: 931-668-9495

Sunday, March 18, 2012

THE CANAAN LIFE - A life of Woship


TEXT: Joshua 5:13-15

Joshua and the nation are in the land. They have taken a tremendous step of faith.  They have observed the ritual of Circumcision, the observance of Passover and the Feast of Unleavened bread.  They have been in the land for about two weeks (one week for healing, another for Passover & Feast). 

The city of Jericho is an ominous city with great walls and a trained army.  Joshua had sent spies out just weeks before who were detected and who were almost captured.  They brought an informed report back to Joshua that gave many details about who and what they were up against.

The enemy is well aware of Israel’s presence in the land. Our enemy is aware of our presence as well!

2 Corinthians 10:3-5 “For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh: 4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;) 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;”

1 Peter 5:8 “Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:”

In our text, we see Joshua walking alone, wondering about what lies ahead.  He is, no doubt concerned, perhaps even worried.
 
Israel is, from a military standpoint, in an exposed position.

I can see Joshua standing on a hillside viewing Jericho. As he does suddenly there is an appearance of a man standing before him with a drawn sword.

Joshua’s response was…
·         Immediate – he sought the identity of the man.
·         Appropriate – he responded with WORSHIP. 

The Canaan Life is a Life of Worship (v 13-15).

Joshua worshiped with…
1.       AN UPWARD GAZE (v 13). It came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand:

A man with his sword drawn. This is not a mere vision, but an actual appearance of the pre-incarnate Son of God himself called a theophany.
·         Genesis 18:33 – Abraham asking for mercy for the redeemed of Sodom.
·         Genesis 32:24-30 – Jacob wrestled with the Lord.
·         Exodus 3:2-6 – Moses and the burning bush.

The LORD appeared in the nature most adept to the circumstance of his people: to Joshua he appeared as Israel's Commander leading His army with sword drawn, ready to judge Canaan.

Jesus is my… King, Comforter, Keeper, Counselor, Saviour, Shield, Healer, Teacher, Friend, Master…

We should worship God because He keeps His promise.

Joshua 1:5 “There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.” [3:7] And the LORD said unto Joshua, “This day will I begin to magnify thee in the sight of all Israel, that they may know that, as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee.”

Joshua worshiped with…
2.       A HUMBLE REVERENCE (v 14).   He said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship.”

The Lord manifested his presence with Israel not as an ally but as their leader. It was “His” war.

Ephesians 6:10-12 “Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.”

The Israelites were only one division of God’s great army. There are also His angelic host and the Forces of nature.

Joshua immediately acknowledged he was the Captain's Servant. The account of the conquest (Josh 6-11) will make it clear that Joshua's military strategy was divinely directed.  Only by God’s hand did the nation experience victory.

Joshua worshiped with…
3.       A FORWARD LOOK (v 14). He said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?”

God’s Plan, Power & Purpose is best for our life.

Joshua worshiped with…
4.       AN OBEDIENT RESPONSE (v 15).  The captain of the LORD's host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.”

Taking off your shoes was an act of submission and respect.

When do we experience the presence of God? ALWAYS!  He is always with us.  We should therefore always reverence Him.

CONCLUSION:  Psalm 139:1-14  O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me. 2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. 3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. 4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether. 5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it. 7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? 8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. 9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; 10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me. 12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee. 13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. 14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.